Monday, January 28, 2013

For Life and Purpose

Hi Friends!
It's been an exciting few days. We started last week celebrating the mission of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with not only a weekend of service throughout our country but with the 2nd inauguration of the 44th President, Barak H. Obama. The event, awakened the patriot within me as I rejoiced in listening to the marches and songs and I felt cultural pride as I saw and heard many Hispanics represented during the inauguration ceremony and luncheon, it made me feel counted, and listened to!

As the week progressed I found myself driving and walking along the very streets and by the same buildings where these earlier events occurred. I was in DC for a work related conference, a Mentoring Summit. I was able to hear about the latest trends as well as lessons from evidence based best practices. Through out I heard the benefits of the mentoring for youth, remembering the benefits that I have had from those who have taken the time to mentor me (and still do so).  These mentors have invigorated me and challenged me to do more and know that I indeed could achieve my dreams, and encouraged me to dream new dreams. They have helped me get to where I am today.

Through out the mentoring conference I kept asking myself, what about the kid with a disability, are there mentors out there for them? To encourage them to dream dreams?  There are now a few mentoring programs to help kids with ADHD or Learning Disabilities such as Dyslexia. Still I am curious to see what of those with developmental disabilities.  There are additional challenges that they have to overcome, but it is with the help of a mentor, of a friend that encourages them and let's them see that they too have potential and purpose, they can achieve great feats.

The summit reminded me to encourage my brother  and remind him what while he has this moment to live and enjoy, but that he too has a future to look forward to.  As many of you know I am working on a project with my brother.  The very same brother, who is classified with developmental disabilities.  Our family has always tried to encourage him to do the most with what he has.  That his life and all life is a gift, a gift that we have been given and that we are able to give to others by living in love and living on purpose. Life is a gift. It is a gift with purpose.

We all have a purpose in life, and while for some challenges may seem as a stumbling block, instead they allow us an opportunity to be strengthened.  I had been teaching kids and teens for a few years to use creative expression before I began working with my brother.  I realized that he too could enjoy and benefit from it. Little did I know that nothing was going to be quite as rewarding as the day I saw purpose and hope illuminate my brother's life. There was a flame that was lit, that came from encouragement and time spent.   And so I ask you to get involved and encourage someone today! Regardless of ability or disability, encouragement and hope just might be what one may need unlock the treasures and dreams within!!

Be Blessed & Live Love,
Minda

check out this article that reminded me of the beauty and value of all life.
Prol: March for Life marks 40 years of abortion Law.

as well as this video by Audio Adrenaline: Kings & Queens


What a great gift we've been given to love. To love the most, the least, the strong, the weak, the grown, the yet to be born, those whom with we agree and disagree, those who have treated us with compassion and hate. We are called to love, to love all, and through love, see a world redeemed.

No comments:

Post a Comment